The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) provides financial assistance to eligible citizens through various programs, including grants distributed via SASSA cards. It’s crucial for beneficiaries to know how to check their SASSA card balance to manage their finances effectively. In this guide, we will walk you through the different methods available for checking your SASSA card balance.
SASSA cards are a vital tool for beneficiaries to access their grants conveniently and securely. These cards are preloaded with grant payments and can be used at ATMs, point-of-sale (POS) devices, and participating retailers. To ensure that you can access your funds without any issues, knowing how to check your SASSA card balance is essential.
Methods for Checking SASSA Card Balance
There are several convenient methods available to check your SASSA card balance:
1. ATM Balance Inquiry:
- Visit any ATM that accepts SASSA cards.
- Insert your SASSA card into the ATM and enter your PIN.
- Select the “Balance Inquiry” or “Check Balance” option.
- Your available balance will be displayed on the screen.
2. SASSA Mobile App:
- Download and install the official SASSA mobile app on your smartphone.
- Log in using your SASSA card details.
- Once logged in, you can check your card balance and view recent transactions.
3. Internet Banking:
- Some banks in South Africa offer internet banking services for SASSA cardholders.
- Log in to your bank’s internet banking portal.
- Link your SASSA card to your account, if not done already.
- Access your account and view your SASSA card balance.
4. USSD Code:
- Dial the USSD code 12069277# on your mobile phone.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter your SASSA card number.
- You will receive an SMS with your card balance shortly after.
5. Customer Service Helpline:
- Contact the SASSA customer service helpline at 0800 60 10 11.
- Provide your SASSA card details and request your card balance from a representative.
6. SMS Inquiry:
- Send an SMS with your SASSA card number to 31450.
- You will receive an SMS response with your card balance.
Tips for Checking Your SASSA Card Balance
- Keep your SASSA card and PIN secure to protect your funds.
- Regularly check your card balance to stay informed about your available funds.
- Be aware of ATM fees, especially when using ATMs from banks other than your card’s issuer.
- Download the official SASSA mobile app for convenient access to your balance and transaction history.
- If you suspect unauthorized activity on your SASSA card, report it to SASSA immediately.
Checking your SASSA card balance is a fundamental step in managing your finances and ensuring that you have access to your grant funds. With various methods available, including ATMs, mobile apps, USSD codes, and customer service helplines, beneficiaries can choose the option that best suits their needs for checking their SASSA card balance with ease and convenience.