As a senior citizen in South Africa, who needs 24-hour care and wants to live in an older person’s residential facility or wants payment for their living. They can take part in the Sassa old-age pension program as about 46% of the South African population gets the Sassa grant. This grant is valid for people who are 60 years old or above. Generally, this grant is called the old age pension because it is the monthly income for people who are 60 years or above and who do have not any other financial resources. You can get all the information here, that is necessary to Apply for the Sassa old age pension grant offered by the South African Government.
About the older person’s grant
Growing old is a fact, from which no one can run, and everyone has not enough help from their children or have any kind of retirement plans in the shape of residence or money during old age.
Eligibility Criteria for the Sassa old age grant are:
- This grant is only valid for people who are not able to work anymore
- The candidate must be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee
- The candidate does not live in any other country except South Africa
- The candidate is not are beneficiary from another social institute.
- The applicant must not be under care in any state institution like a prison, rehabilitation center, or state old age home.
- It is important that your spouse also meet the requirements of the mean test.
What is the Means test?
The mean test determines whether you are eligible for the SASSA Older Persons grant or not. Sassa works hard and tries to put all efforts into determining that only the right and deserving applicants receive financial assistance and grants. For this reason, Sassa put many limitations and monetary thresholds to complete the verification process before making a decision.
The older person’s grant directly depends upon the amount of private income you receive. As SASSA says ‘Grants for older persons, war veterans, and grants for people with disabilities are paid on a sliding scale. So, the more your private income, the lower the amount of grant you get.
To qualify for the grant, you and your spouse must have not a higher annual income as compared to the amount described below otherwise the candidate will not be eligible for the old age grant.
For Single person
For the older person’s grant, the threshold for assets is set at R1227 600 and earnings should not be more than R86 280 for an individual.
For married couple
If the applicant is married, the threshold for assets is set at R2 455 200 and earnings should not be more than R172 560. The Sassa considered the combined income of a married couple.
Documents required to apply for the Sassa pension
For the older grant pension application, the following document or their copies are required:
- Identity document
- If you don’t have an ID, then
Bring the affidavit on a standard SASSA form. This affidavit is completed in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official. Also, bring a sworn statement having been signed by some well-known person. Sassa will take your fingerprint and refer you to the Department of Home Affairs. So, you can apply for the ID in order to prevent your application from being suspended. Sassa starts processing your application on behalf of fingerprint and the above document if you do not have an ID. But if you do not get an ID, your application will be rejected.
- ID document of the spouse also if married
- Proof of marital status. For example, the following document will be required:
A sworn statement or affidavitDivorce proof or order
spouse’s death certificate
- Residential proof
- Proof of income (if married include the income document of your spouse too)
- Assets proof that also contains the property you own (if married include proof of your spouse’s assets too)
- Dependent child proof of income (if any)
- Proof of private pension (If you take any)
- 3-month bank statement
- Proof of Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or discharge certificate (where you were previously employed)
Note: If death occurs in the last five years, then a death certificate copy, his/her will, and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts.
Where and how to apply for Sassa pension?
You can apply for a grant through any nearest office located at the place where you live and can also check your Sassa grant application status.
- You can apply for a pension through the Sassa office. A family member or friend can also apply on your behalf, in case of sickness or if you are unable to visit. But the note is required from you or from your doctor that is the proof explains that why you can’t visit the office.
- An interview is also held in the presence of a Sassa officer who tells you if you qualify for the grant or not.
- The Sassa officer assists you if you are unable to fill out your form application. Remember that only you or the Sassa officer can fill out the form for your grant application
- When the application form-filling process is completed, you’ll be given a receipt with a date stamped.
- This receipt is the proof of your application, so keep it safe as proof you applied.
- You do not need any money to apply for the pension grant.
- If your application is accepted, you will be informed in writing and if your application is rejected you will also be informed through a letter. This letter also contains the reason why the application is not accepted.
- You also have the right to apply for reconsidering the decision. After reconsideration, if your application is still rejected. Then you have the right to appeal the decision to the Minister of Social Development in writing. The method to apply for the appeal is also explained in the letter and you have to appeal within 90 days of being notified.
You can get the payment through the following methods.
- Through Cash by choosing the specific pay point.
- Through a bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service)
- In the institutions (e.g. old age homes etc).
Note: You can also appoint a person on your behalf if you are unable to collect your payment. Also, remember that during the transaction of money going in or out, the normal bank charges can also apply. If you want to change the payment method then it is done at a welfare office by filling out the form. The change in payment method will apply a month later.
Reason for Suspension:
Your old age grant can be suspended because of the following reasons:
- The main cause of suspension is a financial condition that affects the grant mainly.
- If you do not cooperate when Sassa reviews your application.
- In case of fraud or misrepresentation of real documents or information
- If there is an error in the document while the grant approving process
- Your grant is also suspended if you do not gather your grant income for more than three months
- In Case of death or absence from the republic for more than 90 days.
So, if there com any change in your financial circumstances or any other situation, it is the beneficiaries’ responsibility to inform the Sassa otherwise Sassa will have 0% tolerance against fraud or illegal activities.
Note: The grant can also be restored if the application is made within 90 days of grant suspension
Reason for grant lapsing:
The grant will lapse if you die or if you are outside the country or absent from the republic. Your grant is also affected when you are admitted to any institution of state for example in prison, rehabilitation center, or old age home, etc. The grant will be reduced to 25% because the institution has a contract with the government to take care of the people. The reduction on the grant continues until your discharge from that institute. The lapsing-on grant starts from the fourth month following your admission to that place.
Sassa pension increase
The Minister of Finance Enoch Godongwana indicates an increase in the Sassa grant for 2022 above the inflation rate. This decision was made during his inaugural Budget Speech. More than 48% of people in South Africa get help financially from the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa). After reviewing, the National Treasury, in the 2022 Budget explains that in the upcoming days, the number of beneficiaries will increase by about 1;.5%. This means that the beneficiaries for grants increase from 18.4 million in 2021/2022 to 19.2 million in 2024/25. This figure does not mention the 10.5 million beneficiaries of the Social Relief of Distress (SRD) R350 grant.
Grant for beneficiaries (age less than 75)
The old-age grant for beneficiaries (whose age is less than 75) will increase from R1 890 to R1 985 (in April) and then R1,990 (in October) which indicates a 5.3% increase in amount as compared to the original.
Grant for beneficiaries (age more than 75)
The grant for pensioners above the age of 75 will increase from R1 910 to R2 005 (in April) and then R2,010 (in October) which is a 5.2% increase.
How to apply for Sassa’s old age pension online?
You can not apply online for the old age grant. The Sassa old age pension application form is not available online. But you can apply and get the form from any Sassa office.
How much is Sassa’s old-age pension in 2024?
The Sassa will pay the maximum average amount of R1 780 per month if you are 75 years or older. However the changes in grant amount can occur every year in the national budget speech.
How long does it take to process an application?
The process of the application is completed within three months but if the grant is approved you will get the grant from the date, you applied.
What does the SASSA Old Age Pension program entail?
The SASSA Old Age Pension program is a government initiative designed to provide financial assistance to elderly individuals in South Africa who meet specific criteria.
Who qualifies to apply for SASSA Old Age Pension?
Eligibility for SASSA Old Age Pension is open to South African citizens and permanent residents who are 60 years of age or older and fulfill certain income and asset requirements.
What documentation is necessary when applying for SASSA Old Age Pension?
When applying, you will typically need to provide your South African ID, proof of income, evidence of your residence, a copy of your birth certificate, and your bank account details.
Can non-citizens apply for SASSA Old Age Pension?
Non-citizens, including permanent residents, can be eligible for SASSA Old Age Pension, provided they meet all other necessary criteria.
What is the current grant amount for SASSA Old Age Pension?
The grant amount may vary and is subject to government policies. You can find the most recent grant amount on the SASSA website or by contacting your local SASSA office.
How frequently is the SASSA Old Age Pension payment disbursed?
Typically, the grant is paid on a monthly basis, directly into the beneficiary’s bank account.
Can I have other sources of income and still qualify for SASSA Old Age Pension?
Yes, you can have additional sources of income, as long as it does not exceed the income threshold determined by SASSA.
What is the estimated processing time for a SASSA Old Age Pension application?
The processing time may vary but generally takes several weeks to a few months. During peak application periods, processing times may be longer.
Can I submit an application for SASSA Old Age Pension on behalf of someone else?
Yes, you can apply on behalf of someone else if they are unable to do so themselves, provided you have the required documentation and legal authority.
Is it possible to appeal if my SASSA Old Age Pension application is declined?
Yes, anyone has the right to appeal if your application is denied. SASSA offers a formal appeals process that you can follow.